To help ensure that your pacemaker device continues to work properly and that you receive appropriate care at all times:
- Carry your device identification card with you at all times.
- Avoid activities that may cause you to fall on your device or be hit near the implant site.
- Keep small electronic devices and appliances (including cellular phones) at least six inches away from your device.
- Avoid large machinery, high voltage and industrial equipment.
- If you need to enter a secured area such as airports or court houses, show your device card to the security personnel and follow their instructions. Request a hand search instead of the use of security wands.
- Avoiding standing or resting against the security gates.
- Avoid standing or resting against anti-theft detectors in stores.
- Always tell any doctors, dentists or other medical personnel that you have a pacemaker. This is especially important if you have surgery.
- Keep regular appointments with your doctors and the pacemaker/defibrillator clinic.