Family Medicine Residency Program overview
- Electives selection: Choose from many electives to shape your training. For example, we offer a rural emphasis, and many of our graduates practice in farming or mountain communities in Colorado and Wyoming. But a number of residents also choose cities along the Front Range. Our training serves both needs. We are not a "cookie-cutter" residency program.
- Personalized, full-scope training: Our residents are the only residents at Poudre Valley Hospital, a "Top 100 hospital" for four years in a row. They enjoy the medical staff and many are on a first-name basis. This is not an anonymous training program; our residents enjoy individual attention. We cover such topics as community medicine and practice management, along with a holistic view of family practice.
- U.S. medical school graduates: More than 15 years of filling through the match with U.S. medical school graduates.
- Diverse learning: Your training is led by a faculty that includes many other disciplines besides family medicine physicians, such as a geriatrician, education specialist, family therapist, a certified public accountant, medical social workers, a lifestyle medicine coordinator, and a pharmacist. Other unique opportunities available at our program include working with a substance abuse counselor, psychiatrist, and an onsite interpreter.
- Fort Collins and the state of Colorado: Enjoy the city of Fort Collins or escape to wide open spaces. You're only one hour from Denver and one hour from Rocky Mountain National Park. Or just a few minutes from hiking in the foothills, bicycling on city trails, enjoying a play, or hitting a tee shot.
Broad, community-based training
Our three-year Family Medicine Residency Program is community-based and offers a broad spectrum of training. We prepare residents for family practice in rural or medically underserved areas, as well as more urban locales along Colorado's Front Range. We prioritize the training of physicians for practice in the Poudre Valley Health System service area (northern Colorado, southern Wyoming and western Nebraska).
Positive personal focus
Our program lets you select from a range of electives -- choices that can maximize your abilities, help you reach your goals, and empower you with the skills essential to becoming a competent, caring physician. We emphasize a whole-person approach to your family practice training and the care of your patients. Our program will care for you as a person and will help you learn to care for others -- as people.
We provide you with comprehensive training in all family medicine disciplines, including obstetrics. You will gain substantive practice skills through a series of medical rotations in ambulatory and hospital settings.
Medical staff members serve as rotational faculty and adjunct clinical faculty for the Fort Collins Family Medicine Residency Program and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver. Our residency program faculty and area physicians supervise your work.
Our flexible call systems enable you to share those responsibilities with colleagues and still have time for personal studies and activities.
Our curriculum complies with the family medicine residency training requirements specified by the Residency Review Committee of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). The Fort Collins Family Medicine Residency Program is fully ACGME accredited.
If you have questions or want more information, please contact Program Coordinator Rochelle "Chel" Wells at Chel.Wells@uchealth.org or (970) 495-8803.