Russell P. Branzell, FCHIME, FACHE, FHIMSS, CHCIO
Chief executive officer, Poudre Valley Medical Group
Russ Branzell is the Chief executive officer of Poudre Valley Medical Group, a division of Poudre Valley Health System. Prior to his role as CEO for PVMG, Branzell was the Chief information officer for PVHS and the president/chief executive officer of Innovation Enterprises (PVHS' for-profit IS entity). The information services division was recognized by Hospital and Health Networks as recipients of both the "Most Wired"/"Most Wireless" awards for the past six years, Information Week Magazine's Top 500 Award for innovative technology usage for the past five years, and also received the Business Technology Optimization Excellence Award for IT Governance Best Practices (2004).
Prior to joining PVHS, he was the regional deputy chief information officer and executive director of information services for Sisters of Mercy Health System in St. Louis, Mo. Before his time in St. Louis, Mr. Branzell served on active duty in the United States Air Force and retired from the Air Force Reserves in 2008. While on active duty, Mr. Branzell served in numerous healthcare administration positions including chief information officer for the Air Mobility Command Surgeon General's Office. In 1996, he was selected for the Air Force Medical Service Fellowship program and completed a chief information officer internship at the Unity Health System in St. Louis, Mo.
Russ currently serves in the following capacities:
- College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (FCHIME) board of directors; education committee chairperson; CIO Boot Camp Program national chairperson; CIO LEAD Education Program national chairperson; forum planning committee, CHIME Foundation board member
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE), board-certified
- Fellow, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (FHIMSS)
- HIMSS Spring CIO Forum, planning chair, 2005 and 2006
- "Young Healthcare Administrator of the Year" for the state of Colorado (2005 ACHE Regent's Award)
- Northern Colorado Business Report, Who's-Who of Healthcare Executives
- Northern Colorado Business Report, 2006 Healthcare Hero (executive level)
- HIMSS/Cisco advisory board; MEDITECH advisory board; MedSeek advisory board; Philips Medical Systems IT advisory board; Aims Community College Technical advisory board; and Healthcare Access Task Force (Larimer County)
- Advisor, PC Connections
- CHIME Foundation advisor, Gateway Computers
- CHIME Foundation advisor, Kronos Systems
- CHIME Foundation advisor, Johnson Controls, Inc.
- Member, American Society of Human Resources Administrators
- Member, Timberline Church
- Advisor, Fellowship for the Advancement of Christian Educators (FACE)
A native of San Antonio, Texas, Russ earned an undergraduate degree in business administration specializing in human resource management and labor relations from the University of Texas. In 1995, he earned a master's degree in aerospace science with an emphasis in management from Embry-Riddle University.