Making good food choices can lower your risk for heart diesase and heart attack. When incorporated into your lifestyle, and not viewed as a diet, heathy eating is something that becomes simple, easy and can last a lifetime.
Try these simple eating tips:
- Eat foods low in salt. A low-salt diet can help you manage your blood pressure, which can lower your risk for heart disease.
- Eat foods low in sugar. A low-sugar diet can help keep your weight down and control diabetes.
- Eat foods that are high in fiber, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables. A fiber-rich diet helps lower your LDL cholesterol level and provides nutrients that may help protect against heart disease.
- Eat foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish and olive oil.
- Eat foods that are low in saturated and trans fats.
- Saturated fats are found in some meats, dairy products, chocolate, baked goods and deep-fried and processed foods.
- Trans fats are found in some fried and processed foods. Both types of fat raise your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol level.
Make healthy food choices when you pack your child's lunch. Try these heart healthy sack lunch recipes that your kids will love.