What are the reasons someone should have weight-loss surgery?
- Why is weight-loss surgery not a good choice for everyone who is overweight or obese?
- What is diabetes? High blood pressure? High cholesterol? Sleep apnea? Severe arthritis?
Are there are other ways of losing weight that I should try beside surgery?
- What is a nutritionist or a dietitian? Why should I make an appointment to see one?
- What is a weight-loss program?
What are the different types of weight-loss surgery?
- What is the scar like for each type of surgery?
- Is there a difference in how much pain I will have afterward?
- Is there a difference in how long it will take to get better?
What is the best surgery to help me lose weight and keep it off?
- How much weight will I lose? How fast will I lose it? Will I continue to lose weight?
- What will eating be like after weight-loss surgery?
What can I do before surgery to lower my risk of complications? For which of my medical problems (such as diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure) do I need to see my doctor before the surgery?
How can I get my home ready before I go to the hospital?
- How much help will I need when I come home?
- Will I be able to get out of bed by myself?
- How do I make sure my home will be safe for me?
- What type of supplies will I need when I get home?
- Do I need to rearrange my home?
How can I prepare myself emotionally for the surgery? What types of feelings can I expect to have? Can I talk to people who have had weight-loss surgery?
What medicines should I take the day of the surgery? Are there any medicines that I should not take the day of the surgery?
What will the surgery and my stay in the hospital be like?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What type of anesthesia will be used? Are there choices to consider?
- Will I be in a lot of pain after surgery? What will be done to relieve the pain?
- How soon will I be able to get up and move around?
What will my wounds be like? How do I take care of them?
How active can I be when I get home? How much can I lift? When will I be able to drive? When will I be able to return to work?
When will my first follow-up appointment be after surgery? How often will I need to see the doctor during the first year after my surgery? Will I need to see specialists other than my surgeon?